Sunday, June 10, 2012

Maybe not again...

36.46, 36.47, 36.48, 36.49 and 36.50 Try 50 new recipes

So, ever cook something that just wasn't all that good? Yeah, I have. A few times...here are a few of the recipes we tried that we probably won't be trying again.

"Sourdough" Bread

Alex and J gave me a bread maker for my birthday last year, but it took me ages to actually use. We were having something for dinner that went well with homemade bread, but because I hadn't actually taken the time to figure out how the bread maker worked or to buy stuff like vital gluten, I couldn't make bread in the bread maker.

This "sourdough" recipe came from the Good Housekeeping Cookbook. It's not really sourdough bread; it uses yogurt and water as the wet ingredients. I knew this recipe was a disaster before I baked it...you don't proof the yeast - you mix it in with the flour and then add the wet ingredients. [Our pizza dough recipe is the same, but it ALWAYS works] The dough didn't really rise at all, but I figured I'd bake it and see what happened.

not sourdough bread

It came out looking like this. It was crunchy and hard and not very good. I'm not sure what I did wrong - maybe my yogurt had too much fat, maybe the yeast was a bit too old, who knows...anyway, we're not having this again...

Apricot Pecan Bread

This was the first bread recipe I made in the bread maker...I chose this one partly because it looked yummy and partly because I still had no vital gluten and this recipe didn't need any. The bread maker is supposed to have a beep function that tells me when to add the add-ins, in this case apricots and pecans.

apricot pecan bread

What's wrong with this picture?

not apricot pecan bread

Yeah, the bread is done but there are no add-ins. I'm not sure what happened, but the beep never beeped. I sat and waited and waited and waited...

still tastes good thought

At least this one wasn't a total loss...it was still yummy bread. I might try this one again. I've now mastered the bread maker, so even if it doesn't beep, I know what it sounds like when it's mixing in the extra stuff, so I could probably get the goodies in...

Breakfast Quinoa

We like quinoa at our house. Even J likes "special rice". My sister has been telling us for ages how much she likes quinoa for breakfast, so I went in search of a recipe to try. We have had luck with pretty much every Martha Stewart recipe we've tried, so I figure her Breakfast Quinoa was a safe bet. It also had blueberries in it and since we add blueberries to our oatmeal pretty much everyday, I thought it would be good.

blueberry quinoa

Not so much. J and I had something else for breakfast this morning and Alex, who will usually eat pretty much everything, called me at work to find out if I'd be gravely insulted if he threw it out since he couldn't eat his either. I don't think anything was wrong with the recipe - I asked a couple of breakfast quinoa eaters and they all thought the recipe looked fine - I think maybe the people in our house just like their quinoa in savoury dishes...

Black Beans

We have two slowcookers. I love them. I wish I had more good slowcooker recipes. I've made a few recipes that Jenna at Eat, Live, Run has posted and had great results, so when she posted slowcooker black beans and gushed about them, I decided I had to try them!

black beans and other stuff too

They weren't horrible, but they weren't even close to as good as she said they were. We ate them. But they were boring. Because of the length of time you cook this particular recipe they weren't even really good for using in other recipes.

So yeah. Sometimes things don't work out in our kitchen...I'm just glad that most of the time what we eat is most certainly edible and often tasty too.

This brings me to 50 recipes, but because I wasn't paying very close attention, I did more than 50 and because I've got pictures and half written posts, I'm going to [eventually] post them all...Yay, one more to cross off the list!

No comments:

Post a Comment